NHS England and NHS improvement have launched a menopause improvement programme. Menopause Champions are part of this. Online learning modules are being developed at present.
WHAT IS A MENOPAUSE CHAMPION AND WHAT DO THEY DO?
- This is a volunteer role.
- They can be non-clinical or clinical staff but are not giving clinical advice.
- They can help to normalise conversations about the menopause at work.
- They can raise awareness and explain how symptoms of the menopause may impact on work.
- They can be the first port of call for anyone in the workplace struggling with menopausal symptoms, providing 1 – 1 support.
- They can discuss strategies for supporting women at work who are going through the menopause.
- They can signpost women to appropriate resources and professionals for further help.
- They can help advise managers and arrange menopause events in the practice.
- They can create local groups to share resources and ideas and support each other in this role.
WHAT WOULD I NEED TO DO TO BECOME A MENOPAUSE CHAMPION?
- Let your practice manager know and they can pass your name on to Dr Balfour so she can keep a register.
- If there is enough interest, there may be some specific online training for Somerset menopause champions later in the year. Online resources are currently being created nationally and they will be added to this webpage as they are made available.
- There are now lots of private courses available for training menopause champions but there is no funding to help with these.
RESOURCES FOR MENOPAUSE CHAMPIONS